Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Uncle Robert

A lot has happened since my last post on March 24th...

One of the biggest is that my Uncle Robert died on March 25 while on a trip to visit family in Kentucky; it was very sudden and very sad.  He was the last of my dads immediate family and while he was such a loon, he will really be missed.  This was his obituary:

ROBERT DOUGLAS PRESTON

PRESTON, ROBERT DOUGLAS My beloved Preston passed away unexpectedly at our home in Kentucky on Thursday, March 25, 2010. He was 56, a graduate of Sweetwater High and a member of IUOE Local 12. He was a deeply loving and devoted husband, son, brother, father, uncle and friend. Preston is survived by his wife Maria, brother Bruce, his wife Sally, nieces Sally and Ruthie, nephews Loren, Jason and Mathew, daughter Natalia, son Bobby, granddaughter JoAnna and a loving circle of friends. I wish to thank family and friends for such loving support during this time. A very special thanks to Preston's cousin George of Kentucky to whom I will be eternally grateful. A Celebration of Life will be held on Saturday, April 10th.
We had a Celebration of Life at my parents house and it was so wonderful, especially for my Dad and my Aunt Maria, to see all the love and support for Uncle Robert in one place.  I made these collages for the "Celebration".
We are really gonna miss him and I will always remember what a fun time he had in Calistoga at our wedding last May.  It makes me really sad to think that we had such a great time and his life ended with in a year of such good times.  I had planned on framing the picture we took with him and giving it to him because I knew he would be tickled pink to have it, but being the procrastinator that I am, I never got around to it and so now I'll never be able to show it to him.  
There is so much to tell about his life, it was filled with some sadness and sorrow and struggles but at the same time he was so full of life.  He was very sentimental and sensitive, always happy and in a good mood and always very giving.  It's funny how things happen, I feel that I didn't really get to spend a lot of time with him as an adult.  I am finding as an adult that my relationships with family are changing so much, as a child, aunts and uncles and even older cousins are adults and you don't really relate.  Then as you yourself grow up you have better conversations and build stronger bonds.  I am sad that I didn't get to spend that much time as an adult with Uncle Robert, life gets so busy and things get pushed aside.  I will always love him and it seems so weird that he is gone but of course, he will always be remembered!

No comments: