Thursday, March 1, 2012

A little bit of Sunshine

My latest and greatest (completed) Pinterest inspired project is lamp re-vamps.  I was at a local thrift store this last weekend and found some gorgeous (but hideous) brass lamps for sale and knew they would be perfect painted yellow.  I snatched them up, brought them home and painted away.  Here is the process.

Here is what the lamp looked like before.
First, I took off the lamp shade (which I bought at Big Lots), then I wiped it down to remove dust.  Then I taped off the cord and top electrical part (the place where the light bulb goes) by putting both parts with plastic sandwich bags and then taping them shut and securing them with green Froggers tape. 
Next I gave it a good coat of Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Ultra Cover spray primer.
I let it dry for about 30 minutes and then gave it 2 coats (letting it dry 20 minutes in between coats) of Rust-Oleum Gloss Protective Enamel in Sunburst Yellow.
I let it dry in the sun for about an hour before I brought it in and added the lamp shade back on it.  The result was this!


I did 2 so here is the other one.
 Oh and in case you are wondering, here is a shot of the paint cans I used.
And now, a side by side.
 I love them!  They bring a smile to my face every time I pass by, and they are a much needed solution to our lack of lighting in the living room.

1 comment:

Megan {The Brick Bungalow} said...

Hi! I came over from Better After for your floor (great job, btw) but I had to check out the rest of your blog. I LOVE the yellow!!! I have an old crib that I'm wanting to turn into a day bed and have been thinking about yellow... this would be perfect to brighten up my daughter's room! Thanks for sharing!

Megan
thependletonhouse.blogspot.com