Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patty's Day!!!

Nothing special going on here, we are going to my parents house for a corned beef and cabbage dinner later but nothing terribly exciting.  However, I did want to take something festive for desert but didnt feel like making anything but I had made some tasty lemon cupcakes last night that I didn't end up frosting because it got to late.  Soooo, I decided they were the perfect treat if I could make them green in some way to "St. Patty's Day" them up.  Food coloring to the rescue and Ta-Da!  St. Patty's Day lemon cupcakes. 

(I apologize for the grainy Blackberry photos, Jeremiah has my camera at work)

In case you are in need of a scrumptious lemon cupcake recipe, who isn't, here it is...
(they are the most moist and lemon-y cake cupcakes you will ever taste and top it with my grandmothers delicious lemon frosting, DIVINE!)

Lemon Cupcakes
Cake:
-1 box lemon cake, add 1/2 cup sour cream and bake per box instructions
-when cupcakes come out of the oven, poke a few holes in the top with a wooden toothpick and drizzle some glaze on top so that it soaks in 
-let cupcakes cool and then ice with frosting

Glaze:
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
4 heaping tablespoons powdered sugar
(mix together and then poke holes in cake/cupcakes and drizzle into holes)

Nana's Lemon Frosting Recipe:
1/3 cup soft (real) butter
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tbsp grated lemon rind
(mix all together)

** when adding glaze to cupcakes wash cupcake pans before next batch or the glaze will turn to candy in bottom of cup cake pan cups and stick to the next batch and then the cupcake will not come out of pan

No comments: